Grease traps prevent excess fats, oils, and greases from entering sewer lines, and they can only do their job if they’re regularly serviced. Grease traps that aren’t properly maintained:
- develop a foul odor
- contribute to health problems
- attract insects and rodents
- contribute to plumbing clogs and backups
- can result in municipal fines.
Grease trap cleaning is best left to licensed professionals with specialized equipment and experience. When grease has accumulated to 25% of a trap’s capacity, it should be pumped out and completely cleaned—including scraping down the sides and bottom of the trap. Once it’s empty, it’s helpful to thoroughly inspect the trap to ensure it’s in proper working condition.
Some business owners are tempted to save money by cleaning their own grease traps. This approach can create serious problems:
- Most restaurateurs don’t have the tools necessary to adequately maintain their grease traps. Even if they’re emptied regularly, without good cleanings using the right equipment, traps will continue to accumulate sludge—which becomes more and more difficult to clean over time.
- Restaurant owners/managers are busy people, and grease trap maintenance isn’t particularly high on the list of priorities.
- Local and federal legislation controls the transport and disposal of grease trap waste and requires meticulous documentation.
If you’re having your grease trap regularly serviced but you’re still experiencing problems, it’s possible that your trap simply can’t keep up with the volume being pushed through it. Grease trap sizing requires an understanding of sink capacity, displacement, and peak flow rates—which a professional plumber can confidently determine. You may also need to consider a solid strainer to prevent solid food wastes from entering the trap.
Maplewood Plumbing and Sewer has been installing grease traps in St. Louis homes for more than 30 years. Contact us today at 314-645-6350 or here for more information or to request a bid.
We offer a one-year warranty on all parts and labor excluding washers.
We are also experts inKitchen plumbing, basement plumbing, bathroom plumbing and tankless water heater installation. Give us a call at 314-645-6350 or fill out the contact formhere to request a bid.