Smart Gifts for Smart Homeowners
Picking out gifts can be overwhelming and exhausting. It’s tough to guess what friends and family members really want. Do you go with the latest craze, or choose something tried and true? We can’t speak specifically for the people on your gift list, but we’ve been working with homeowners for more than 30 years – and we’d like to think we might know a thing or two about what gifts they’re wishing for this year. Just in case you’re stumped, here are 14 great ideas to get you started.
Safe and Sound
- Smart Smoke Alarm. First time homeowners typically have a long list of purchases to make, from furniture and window treatments to dishes and cookware. What they might not be thinking about is their safety. A smart smoke & carbon monoxide alarm will help to keep them safe all year long.
- Smart Lock. Know a homeowner who’s always losing their keys? The August Smartlock Pro puts an end to bulky keychains and provides smart access—and security—for homeowners.
- Amazon Fire Stick. Over the top (OTT) viewing (streaming tv vs. traditional cable) has tripled since 2013 according to one report. Give the first-time homeowner on your list this device and they’ll be able to stream 500,000 movies and TV episodes from favorites like Netflix, Prime, Hulu and more.
- Sonos Sound System. If you’re looking for a cool gift for someone that appreciates great sound, whether they’re listing to music or movies, this is worth looking into. The Sonos sound system brings entertainment to any room in a home.
Clever & Convenient
- iRobot Roomba. There’s something super satisfying about relaxing on the couch as your robot vacuum cleans around you. These are great gifts for people who could use a little help with their chores.
- Mini Smart Plug. These clever little plugs automate any appliance, from a lamp to a coffee pot, from the convenience of an app. Check ‘em out here.
- Voice Assistants. Have a family member who loves tech and giving orders? Check out the Google Home or Amazon Alexa is perfect… plus it’s helpful and fun to use! There are several alternatives to this brand that you can find, too.
- Phillips Hue. The Phillips Hue starter kit has everything you need to wire a home with smart lighting. For family members who already have it, check out their newlight strip for under cabinet, bathroom, or kids’ room lighting.
For first-time homeowners or empty nesters ready to downsize, the smartest gifts might not be high-tech at all. The following low-tech options can be just as useful—and fun—to give (and receive)!
- Tools. Homeowners tend to use the same basic tools over and over again, but there are a few they might not think they’ll need until the time comes. If there’s a first-time homeowner on your list, consider one of these handy tools– or a whole set.
- Monogrammed Doormat. Nothing says welcome home like a personalized welcome mat. Amazon has a nice selection, but these gifts can easily be found at local shops, too.
- Christmas Ornaments. One thing a first-time homeowner or new couple might not have is ornaments for the Christmas tree. A nice set of ornaments can make a great gift that will be used year every year.
- Return Address Stamp. Real, handwritten letters aren’t something we receive much anymore, but for those who still enjoy putting pen to paper, it’s nice to have a personalized stamp with their address – especially if they’ve just moved. Simply Stamps has some nice options.
Some people really don’t want more stuff – in fact, they might even be trying to get rid of some of it! For these friends and family members, experiences are more valuable than objects, and especially if they could use a hand around the house, one of these would make a welcome gift.
- Restaurant Gift Certificates. Who doesn’t love a free meal at their favorite place?
- Labors of Love. For more mature family members, or those who are super busy or rarely home, create homemade gift certificates! You can offer to take care of the lawn, winterize a home, change air filters, check smoke & carbon monoxide detectors, and handle other home care tasks. Need a hand? Maplewood Plumbing has proudly served the St. Louis and surrounding communities for over 30 years. We offer drain cleaning and a full range of other residential plumbing services for St. Louis homeowners.
Comments are closed