If your bathtub or shower is looking a bit worn, there may be a solution less extreme than replacing it. A few tips:
Cracks and Chips
Bathtub and shower surface repairs require precision and patience.
- Take adequate time to prepare your work area. You’ll be generating a lot of dust, and refinishing materials can have a strong odor.
- Remove the old finish from your tub or shower. Depending on the material you’re working with, you’ll likely be sanding and/or stripping.
- Repair the surface. Before you apply the refinishing material, your tub or shower will need to be free of cracks and chips.
- If your tub or shower is porcelain, enamel, or fiberglass, you’ll need to etch the surface so the refinishing material will cling to it.
- Prime, finish, and seal the tub or shower.
- Re-grout or re-caulk as needed.
Cracks in the bottom of a tub can develop because of improper support or shifts in the floor. In this case, you’ll need to reinforce your tub and, depending on the severity of the crack, apply an inlay rather than simply refinishing it.
If your tub or shower is an eyesore due to stains, rather than damaged surfaces, a little elbow grease goes a long way:
- Cut a lemon in half and rub the stains. Rinse well.
- Try baking soda and a soft sponge.
- Mix one part bleach to one part water. Scrub well (while wearing gloves).
- If you have a stubborn stain, pick up some oxalic acid or hydrochloric acid at your local hardware store. Mix a 5% or 10% solution, respectively, apply to the stain for 2-3 seconds, and rinse thoroughly.
Note: these products can be extremely harmful to skin, eyes, and lungs. Use with caution.
Are your tub or shower issues more than cosmetic? Learn more about repairing your faucet or replacing your valves.
Maplewood Plumbing and Sewer has more than 30 years of experience repairing tubs and showers in St. Louis bathrooms. Our family owned business prides itself on our solid reputation in the community. Give us a call and see for yourself why our loyal customers won’t use anyone else!
We offer a one-year warranty on all parts and labor excluding washers.